WMA started in 2010 as a result of a Think Tank conference held in Sparta, Wisconsin, in which Montessorians from around the state volunteered to meet and discuss issues pertinent to Montessori education. It became clear to the twelve members attending that interests would be best met by forming an statewide organization to represent all Montessori schools and interests in the state.
A second meeting in Weston, Wisconsin, culminated with the by-laws, and a third meeting produced the Interim Board of Directors and goals for the coming year. The Articles of Incorporation and 501c3 papers were submitted in 2011 officially establishing WMA as a non-profit organization. On March 5, 2011, the first WMA Annual Conference was attended by over 100 members.
GENERAL SERVICES WMA PROVIDES :
- Hold an annual conference and meeting of the full membership.
- Sponsors regional lecture series on Montessori pedagogy and practice
- Sponsors workshops for Governance Boards
- Connects experts, information and resources within the Wisconsin Montessori community
- Coordinates video-conferencing opportunities
- Provide and coordinates grant, start-up, and continuing consultation to Montessori schools.
- Serve as a networking hub for job opportunities, program development, and marketing.
WMA Membership offers access to these and other services. For more information register here →
ABOUT THE WEBMASTER
Rain Lee is a former Montessori student of one of the founding WMA Board Member, Nancy Schaitel. A life long self starter, she taught herself website development and now runs a thriving web business out of her home in the Santa Monica Mountains outside of Los Angeles, California. Rain remembers her time in Nancy's Montessori class fondly and still thinks of the scent bottles every time she grates nutmeg.